After our last tour together in 2013 and what turned out to be the last tour of his career, I told Joe I would archive the update emails I had sent from the road and post them.
He said, "That's a good idea, Nick."

About halfway into what turned out to be thirteen years in his band as keyboardist and then music director, I started writing regularly—first to family and a small group of friends to digest the experiences that constant travel can sometimes wash into a blur. Over the years the list expanded to almost a thousand people. The first twenty posts here are the original update emails in chronological order.

I post these to honor Joe and all who worked with him. There are more stories to write. I will continue to gather them and post from time to time and to invite others to contribute.

Come visit frequently, hang out if you want and get to know my experience of this great artist and true gentleman, Joe Cocker.

In Respect, Gratitude and Love,
Nick

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Hard Knocks Tour, October 2010

Hi Everyone!  Hope you all are well!

Here is a letter I sent last month from Joe Cocker's "Hard Knocks" Tour.  We are in Germany now until December 5th.  

More updates will be coming, but I wanted to send you this one first. I will be posting on milomon.com as well in the coming weeks.

Keep Rockin'
Nick Milo

(If you wish to not get these mails, just reply to that effect and your wish will be granted! Peace.)




Hi Everyone,

Family and friends, forgive the mass mail here, but just wanted to give you all an update from the road.  (And, some of you haven't heard from me for a long while, for which I apologize, but that will change!)

We just found out a few minutes ago, Joe's new album "Hard Knocks" has entered the charts in Germany at #1!  It is the first time in Joe's career that's happened.  Everyone is very excited.  Word is, it will be in the top five in Austria and Switzerland, as well.  Next,... the World!

Last night in Paris was our third show with full production.  A film crew was there to get some footage for promotional purposes, management and the record company was there.  It was, for me as music director of the tour, the final test of this preparation period.  Things have been going well, and there have been many obstacles to surmount with our crazy schedule at the beginning with shows in Moscow and Minsk, TV in Poland, Germany and France, and all too few days of actual rehearsal.  But, the band has worked extremely hard, (we are supporting Joe's new album, produced by Matt Serletic, with no computer tracks or sequences.  In other words, this band plays and sings) and from the start, there was the feeling that this is all going to work just fine.  Now, today, with this news, it's a sign that people want to hear more Joe Cocker!


Today, we have off in Brussels, and I have the sense for the first time on this tour (it will be four weeks out, this Wednesday) that All the Fires are Out, the Cows are In the Barn, the Wagons are Trail bound.  And, we are Rockin'...  

I'll send photos and video soon of the production, which is beautiful and well done.  Baz Halpin, the creator, got an award last year for his work on the Pink Tour. Our production is mainly done with hanging scrims and projections.. It's all Light!  ...not sets, and furniture...  

Now, I'll be able to write more, and I have music I will be posting soon of my new album with Rocky Maffit, which most of you have heard bits and pieces.  Stay tuned!
Love to you all,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment